The much awaited day arrived & I started with my long vacation to Mussourie-Ramgarh-Nainital. I had just heard that these places are known for their scenic beauty. But when I actually reached there I realized that it was more than scenic beauty. Surrounded with mountains, the chirping of birds, the clear blue skies , the flowers flaunting their colors,the small springs flowing through the mountains. The blues & greens every where. It was all amazing. I tried to capture each and every moment that I could. I did manage to click the shots that could express their own story.
Orange kheer is one of the most quickest,easiest & tasty recipe that I have made. I made this on my vacation for my family members, I stayed at Ramgarh completely disconnected from urbanization & very close to the nature , surrounded by the hills & greenery all around. It was basically a digital detox for me. I love to cook on my vacation and destress myself.
So my menu for the day was Veg Cheese balls & Cutlets for starters , Biryani & Raita for main course & Orange kheer for dessert.
There were a few oranges that were left & a lot of milk in the fridge. It just struck me make a sweet dessert for all. I just followed my instinct to make this kheer. It turned out great. My family just had one word “Awesome”.
2 Oranges (Remove the skin & seeds) and cut into small pieces
10 tsp Sugar
120 gms of paneer (grated)
1ltr whole milk
1 tsp of soaked rice (raw)
1. Make a paste of the soaked rice (you can use cornflour mixed with 1/4 cup of milk. I used rice paste since cornflour wasn’t available)
2. In a heavy bottom pan boil the milk + sugar over medium to high heat. Keep stiring to prevent the burning of milk.
3. Boil the milk till it reduces to half its quantity
4. Add the half of the grated paneer & the rice paste.
5. When the milk becomes a little thicker Add rest of the paneer to it.
6. Boil for more 5-10 mins.
7. Once the kheer is cooled refrigerate it for at least 1 hr.
8. Add the oranges and a bit of orange zest to the kheer.
9. Again refrigerate it for couple of hrs.
The kheer tastes much better when it is served chilled.
The first cake that I baked. It was for my niece’s 2nd birthday. I was a little nervous ,since it was the first time I was baking a cake & that too on a special day. I wasn’t sure how would it turn out, I was afraid that I would end up spoiling her birthday rather than making it special for her. Well it wasn’t a disaster!! 🙂 Thank God… It tasted yum. It boosted up my confidence , that I can bake too & make many more. I hope this recipe also helps you to make someone’s day special!!
1. All Purpose Flour – 1¼ Cup
2. Cocoa Powder – 3-4 Tbsp
3. Powdered Sugar – ¼ Cup
4. Baking Soda – 1/2 Tsp
5. Baking Powder -1 Tsp
6. Wet Ingredients: Butter – ⅓ Cup
7. Condensed Milk – ½ Cup
8. Vanilla Extract – 1 Tsp
9. Vinegar – 1 Tsp
10. Milk – ½ cup
1. Whipping Cream – 1 ½ cup
2. Powder Sugar – 3 – 4 tsp
3. Vanilla – 1 tsp
4. Red Cherries – ½ tin
5. Sugar Syrup – you can use the Cherry syrup from the tin
6. Chocolate Shavings
For the Cake:
1. Pre-heat Oven at 180C for around 10 mins.
2. Beat Butter & Condensed milk in a bowl for around 2-3 mins until it is fluffy
3. Add sugar to it & whisk for 2-3 more mins.
4. Add Vanilla + Vinegar & mix well.
5. Add ½ the milk mix well & then add the other half. Keep this wet mixture aside
6. In a separate container sieve in the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda & mix well.
7. Add the flour (in parts) into the wet ingredients & mix well.
8. Pour the Batter into a Greased 7” or 9” cake tin. Level the batter by tapping the tin twice
9. Place the tin into the Oven on the middle rack & bake for 30 – 35 mins
10. Bake for 30-35 mins (Keep an eye when the cake starts leaving sides & the color starts changing)
11. After 30 mins insert a toothpick in the center, if it comes out clean the cake is done else bake for another 5 mins.
12. Remove the cake from the oven. Let it rest for 10 mins. Then turn it upside down on plate.
Let the cake cool down completely before you start with the icing.
For the icing
1. Make sure that cream is chilled
2. In a bowl add the chilled cream and start to whip the cream using a beater. When the cream reaches a soft peak add the powdered sugar & vanilla.
3. Whip further until it reaches the stiff peak.
4. Refrigerate the cream for around 10 mins. The whipping cream is ready!!
5. Cut cake into three layers horizontally. Transfer the layers to a plate.
6. Apply a wee bit of cream in the center of the turn table and place the bottom most cake layer
7. Brush some sugar syrup over the cake. Now add a dollop of cream and spread a good ½ inch layer
8. Place some cherries (Remove the seeds & chopped).Place another layer and repeat.
9. Now for the final layer take a big dollop of cream and then spread it on top as well on sides. Then make it smooth! Make a thin layer. Now place this in the freezer for 30 mins.
10. After 30 mins, add a good dollop of cream to it and spread using a spatula or a long knife/palette knife and give a good finishing.
11. Now add the remaining cream to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. Pipe with circular motion on top which makes rosettes.
12. And pipe and lift on bottom.
13. Sprinkle chocolate shavings all over sides and top.
14. A cherry on the top of each rosette.
There your cake is Ready!!
I prepared this creamy & smooth mascarpone cheese at home instead of paying an arm for store-bought! ! You can use this for making tiramisu & other Italian desserts.
1. 2 cups Heavy Cream (I used Amul cream 3 packets of 200 ml each)
2. 1 1/2 Tbs Fresh Lemon Juice (Ensure it is at room temperature)
Yields: Approx. (490 g)
1. Heat the cream in a thick pan(non stick) over a low heat,stirring constantly to prevent burning
2.When the cream is about to boil (heat up till see you some bubbles around edges), remove from the heat and add in the lemon juice. Continue stirring until the cream curdles, and is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Allow to sit, undisturbed, for 30 minutes.
3.Line a strainer with several layers of dampened cheesecloth (or a clean, damp cotton/linen dishcloth) and set over a bowl. Pour the cooled cream mixture into the sieve, and allow to drain, undisturbed, until cooled completely. Cover the sieve with & and refrigerate overnight.
4.The next day, remove the cheese from the sieve in 1 piece and stir well to make smooth and creamy. You can store this in fridge for 7 to 10 days.
Red Velvet Cup Cakes
Red velvet cake is my family’s all time favorite.Especially my niece, She just loves the taste of it. I made these for my office colleagues & friends. They all savored it to the fullest.There’s hardly anybody who can refuse these delectable cupcakes covered with lovely swirls of cream cheese frosting. I have replicated this recipe from Ruchi Bharani.
For the batter:
1 cup plain flour
200 gm of condensed milk
1 tbsp coco powder
2 tbsp red food coloring
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 tbsp milk powder
1/2 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate
2 tbsp butter (softened at room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla essence
For the frosting:
1/4 cup butter (softened at room temperature)
200 gm cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup icing sugar
To make the batter:
– Take a bowl and place a sieve over it in.
– Add the all purpose flour, milk powder, powdered sugar, cocoa powder and put them through the sieve.
– Take another bowl, add the condensed milk, soft butter, vanilla extract and red food coloring in it and whisk them well.
– While whisking the above mixture, start adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk to it simultaneously.
– After the whisking process, add the baking powder and soda bicarbonate to the mixture.
– Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and whisk the mixture again.
To make the cupcakes:
– Use an ice-cream scoop to fill the paper cups with the batter.
– Once the batter is filled into the paper cups, immediately put them into the oven and bring down the temperature to 180 degrees.
– Make sure the oven
– After around 15-20 minutes, get the cupcakes out of the oven and poke in a skewer in one of the cupcakes. If the skewer comes out clean, your cupcakes are ready.
– Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow them to cool down completely.
To make the frosting:
– Take a bowl and add some butter (room temperature) and whisk it for about 30-40 seconds.
– Add a packet of cream cheese and cut in into small pieces in order to whisk them them.
– Whisk the butter and cream cheese and simultaneously start adding the icing sugar to it.
– After whisking, add the vanilla extract, clean the sides of the bowl with the spatula and whisk all the ingredients again.
– The cream cheese frosting is ready.
– Take a piping bag, put a nozzle in it and fill it with the cream cheese frosting.
– After filling the piping bag with the cheese frosting, keep it in the refrigerator until the cupcakes completely cool down.
For icing the cupcakes:
– Take an apple corer and make a hole in the center of the cupcakes.
– Snip the tip of the piping bag and fill the center of the cupcake with the cream cheese frosting and also swirl around some of the frosting.
– Sprinkle some colored sprinkles over the cupcakes.
10th April was my brother’s birthday, I prepared the Eggless Tiramisu cake . And trust me it was a big hit. And soon after that my family was invited to a cousin’s place for house warming, so I decided to make the cake again. I got a lot of compliments. They couldn’t believe it was made by me. It tasted as if it was bought from a patisserie shop. I hope you people too try it & let me know how did it turn out. Here goes the Recipe!!! Trust me its a fool proof recipe & you cant go wrong.
Tiramisu is ready in around 4-5 hours. But is is suggested to refrigerate it overnight for a better taste.
For the Cake
1 1/4 cup Plain Flour
1/2 cup Condensed milk
1/3 cup Butter (Room Temperature)
1/4 cup Powdered Sugar (or depends how sweet your want the cake to be
1 tsp Vinegar
1/2 cup Milk (Make sure it is at Room Temperature else your cake will be ruined )
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Frosting
4 tbs powdered sugar
1 cup Chocolate Shavings
3 packets for Cadbury Choco pops (Optional – for garnishing). You can also use nutties or any other chocolate for decoration
340 gms Mascarpone Cheese (Made mine @home, Click the image for the recipe)
1 1/2 cup whipping cream
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 cup choco chips
around 1/4 cup Coco powder 1 cup black coffee or expresso
1. Preheat Oven at 180C
2. In a bowl sieve Plain flour + Baking powder & Baking Soda and keep it aside
3. In a separate bowl mix butter & condensed milk till it becomes fluffy & smooth
4. Add Sugar & mix well
5. Add Vanilla extracts and Vinegar to it
6. Add half of the milk & mix well. Then add rest of the milk to it
7. Now Add the dry flour mixture little by little (dont add the whole lot at one go) to the wet mixture. Mix well till it combines well
8. The batter should be at a dropping consistency
9. Pour the batter in a greased(7″ to 9″ Cake pan.
10. Place the tray on the middle rack in the preheated oven
11. Bake for 30-35 mins (Keep an eye when the cake starts leaving sides & the color starts changing)
12. Insert a toothpick in the center , If it comes out clean the cake is done.
13. Remove the cake from the oven . Let it rest for 5 mins. Then turn it upside down on plate.
14. Let it completely cool.
For the Frosting
1. Combine Mascarpone + sugar and whip.
2. Add whipped cream to above whipped mixutre and fold in slowly until combined and set aside.
3. Cut cake into three layer horizontally. Transfer the layers to a plate.
4. Apply a wee bit of cream in the center of the turn table and place the bottom most cake layer
5. Brush some coffee syrup over the cake. Now add a dollop of cream and spread a good ½ inch layer.Sprinkle chocolate chips,Chocolate shavings & Coco powder(with the help of a strainer).Place another layer and repeat..
6. Now for the final layer take a big dollop of cream and then spread it on top as well on sides. Then make it smooth! Make a thin layer. Now place this in the freezer for 30 mins.
7. After 30 mins, add a good dollop of cream to it and spread using a spatula or a long knife/palette knife and give a good finishing.
8. Sprinkle Coco powder ,Chocolate shavings. Place the chocolate balls. Or decorate as you like
9 Refrigerate overnight and serve the dessert